Don’t lose this recipe, click here to pin this recipe to one of your boards.
Why I love this recipe
Prized for its long, tender, fluffy grains and delicate flavor, basmati rice is best known for being served alongside curries, meats, and stews all across India and the Middle East. But that’s not all it’s good for. Today I’m sharing my favourite way to turn simple basmati rice into a truly delicious salad.
This salad is super versatile and is also appreciated as a side dish as much as a meal version. Refreshing, it is one of my favorites in the summer. Follow my lead or modify to using your own favorite ingredients.
RELATED: Garlic Parmesan Cauliflower Rice
This recipe is:
- Super customizable
- The perfect summer cold rice salad, side dish or addition to a BBQ or Potluck cookout.
What do you need to make Cold Rice Salad?
This cold rice salad is basically made of just three elements: rice, vegetables and dressing. You can experiment with these for a dish that’s truly your own!
Ingredients for the salad
- Cooked basmati rice
- Bell peppers
- Red onion
- Celery stalks
- English cucumber
- Fresh mint
- Frozen edamame
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the dressing
- Olive oil
- Rice vinegar
- Maple syrup
- Dijon mustard
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How do you make Basmati Rice Salad?
- Cook the rice as indicated on the packaging. Once cooked, rinse it with cold water to remove the starch. (Here’s more tips on how to cook basmati rice).
- Wash and chopped all of your vegetables.
- Place frozen edamame in a medium bowl and pour boiling water on top, let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl add all the ingredients of the dressing and mix well to combine everything.
- In a large bowl add the rice, the vegetable, the edamame, the mint and pour the dressing, mix well
- Serve cold with Chili Lime Chicken Kabobs with Veggies.
Make this Cold Basmati Rice Salad, then check out my Layered Cobb Salad Trifle, Arugula and Watermelon Salad with Red Onion, Feta and Pine Nuts, and Spring Salad with Homemade Green Goddess Dressing and more of my healthy BBQ salad recipes.
Can I use a different type of rice?
Yes. If you don’t have any basmati rice, try using another type of long-grain rice such as jasmine rice or standard American long-grain white rice. Medium-grain and short-grain rice will result in stickier, less fluffy rice, and isn’t recommended.
Can I use brown basmati rice to make this recipe?
Yes. Take note that the rice to water ratio for brown basmati rice versus white basmati rice is different, as well as the total cook time.
How long does rice salad last in the fridge?
This salad needs to be stored in the fridge because rice should not be left at room temperature for more than 2 hours. You can keep your rice salad refrigerated for up to 3–4 days.