I was walking out of work today and the weather was ick – grey and questionable skies. I mean, I hate rain, but a huge part of me felt relief. I could easily have been convinced to stick out the plans we had to meet friends at the pool for a swim and dinner…but man, a low-key Peloton workout and a homemade dinner were totally calling for me.
And you know what? When the weather is meh, my FOMO of summer things goes out the window. I got my quiet night at home of my low-key Peloton workout and making dinner that no one other than Mr. Prevention and I enjoyed.
Last night, I had a work happy hour and Mr. Prevention made dinner. I walked in to a pesto chicken pizza and a pepperoni pizza, somewhat homemade with thanks to CostCo pizza crusts and the fact that I spent all of Monday evening making homemade pesto…and plucking that CostCo rotisserie on Saturday. It really does pay dividends to be a bit productive over the weekend…NOTE TO SELF.
Needless to say, the kids loved that meal and tonight was met with far less excitement. But you know what? That’s okay. I’m accommodating my little vegetarian and we enjoyed a nice, quiet dinner together as it sprinkled ever so lightly around us on the covered deck where we love eating dinner during the seasons that will allow it.
This weekend starts college football and I told Shea that that means CHILI season! We ALL love chili and it’s a good thing because I make a LOT of chili. I asked Shea if she would eat chili with ground beef this weekend and she said yes. If you’re confused, I’m right alongside you. But, whatever. Her rationale? The animal was already…ahem, not living. I’m not sure why this logic isn’t applied widespread, but apparently she has an affinity for ground beef. Fine, whatever…
But thus far, she’s a HARD NO on chicken. It’s too bad, too, because we eat quite a bit of chicken in our house. I tend to dry it out on the grill, but man an overnight marinade in BBQ sauce makes for some seriously tender, juicy chicken that accompanies this super simple salad perfectly! Some of my favorite ingredients are on this one!
- 24 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1.5-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 12 wooden skewers pre-soaked
- 1/3 cup light ranch dressing
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 3 Tbsp buttermilk
- 4 ears corn
- 2 heads romaine, chopped or torn
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, pitted and thinly sliced
- Combine chicken and BBQ sauce in a large bowl or gallon-sized plastic bag; gently toss to coat. Set aside to let marinate for at least 20 minutes at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate for 4-8 hours (or 1-2 days in advance), if desired.
- Preheat grill to medium-high (350-400 degrees F). Meanwhile, thread chicken onto pre-soaked skewers.
- Once hot, add chicken and cook 3-4 minutes before turning. Baste chicken with any reserved BBQ sauce from the marinading process. Cook chicken until cooked through, totaling 15-18 minutes. During the chicken cook time, add the corn on a top grate or away from direct flame; turn every 2 minutes, cooking a total of 10-12 minutes.
- Remove corn and chicken from grill and set aside. After cooling 5 minutes, cut corn from cob.
- Combine ranch, BBQ sauce, and buttermilk in a mason jar or small bowl, whisking or shaking until well-combined.
- Place romaine in a large bowl and add most of the dressing; toss to coat. Add tomatoes, beans, and avocado along with and remaining dressing; toss and serve with skewers atop the salad.
Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 386Total Fat: 10.3gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 853mgCarbohydrates: 50.2gFiber: 9.7gSugar: 19.8gProtein: 31.3g
Summer salads…there’s not much better! INSPO!