3-4 lbs bone-in goat, lamb, or beef pieces (leg, shoulder, short ribs, or combination), cut into 2” chunks
1 lemon, cut into wedges
coarse sea salt or kosher salt to taste
1. Rub the meat all over with the lemon juice, then pat dry using paper towels; generously salt the meat and set aside.
2. Prepare your grill for indirect medium-heat grilling by banking the coals to one side for a charcoal grill, or turning off the burners on one side. Place the goat pieces on the cool side of the grill, fattiest-side-up, and grill until the meat registers at least 140F on an instant-read thermometer, about 35 minutes.
3. Transfer the meat to the hot side of the grill and grill until crispy, about 3 minutes per side. Season with more salt to taste, then serve with Sukuma Wiki, Ugali, and Kachumbari.
Serves: 4 as a side
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
½ red onion, diced (about ½ cup chopped)
2 tomatoes, diced (about 1 cup chopped)
1 spicy chile pepper (habanero, piri piri, serrano, or similar), diced
1 small handful cilantro, chopped (about 2 tbsp chopped)
½ tsp salt, more to taste
juice of ½ lime (about 1 tbsp)
1. Soak the onion in cold water for 10 minutes, then drain and pat dry.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ingredients. Season with salt to taste, then cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes before serving.