Don’t lose this recipe, click here to pin this recipe to one of your boards.
Why I love this coleslaw with pineapple recipe
I love this Pineapple Coleslaw because it’s so full of flavor – it’s the perfect side dish for cookouts, backyard BBQs or pulled chicken and pulled pork sandwiches. It’s a tropical twist on a favorite summer cookout side dish, it’s sweetened with pineapple and gets an extra bit of tang from apple cider vinegar. Your fork is waiting!
RELATED: Easy Creamy Coleslaw with Grapes
What Ingredients do you need to make Hawaiian Coleslaw
- Shredded red cabbage
- Shredded green cabbage
- Shredded carrots
- Pineapple tidbits
- Chopped fresh cilantro
What Ingredients do you need to make Hawaiian Inspired Coleslaw Dressing
- Mayonnaise (or Greek yogurt)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Black pepper
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make Hawaiian Coleslaw with Pineapple
This recipe is so easy to make, and it comes together quickly in four simple steps!
- In a large bowl toss together the shredded red cabbage, green cabbage, carrots, pineapple tidbits, and cilantro. (Here’s a quick tip on how to shred cabbage).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour prior to serving. Toss again before serving.
Make this Hawaiian Coleslaw with Pineapple recipe, then check out my Easy Creamy Coleslaw with Grapes, Layered Cobb Salad Trifle, and Easy Hawaiian Pineapple Squares and more of my Refreshing Summer Salad Recipes.
Inspired by Hawaii Coleslaw substitution ideas
The beauty of this salad recipe is that you can make it truly your own with a few simple substitutions. Here are a few ideas:
- Add mandarin oranges or diced mango to the salad mix
- Add in some finely chopped red onion
- Use a bagged coleslaw mix instead of chopping your own cabbage (saves time and effort!)
- Use greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise to make a lighter version
Soak bagged coleslaw in ice-cold salted water for 30 minutes before using. Why? Because it washes off some of that “bagged” taste and refreshes the shredded vegetables
How to store hawaiian cole slaw
As with most salads, store this salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.