Don’t lose this recipe, click here to pin this recipe to one of your boards.
Why I love this recipe for traditional deviled ham spread
This classic recipe from the 70’s and 80’s takes me back to my childhood when nothing was ever wasted. When we had leftovers we made something with it – usually sandwiches. Leftover ham from Easter was served as this this super versatile traditional deviled ham salad. Sometimes it was served with saltines (like the photos), and sometimes it was served as a sandwich, or on a bed of lettuce as a salad.
Whether you serve this as ham salad sandwiches, ham salad pinwheels, ham salad spread, ham salad dip, or ham salad with lettuce it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser at your next get-together!
RELATED: Hawaii Inspired Pasta Salad with Ham
What you’ll need to make a deviled ham salad
This easy ham salad recipe only uses 7 ingredients!
- Leftover cooked ham
- Hard-boiled eggs <- Can be leftover hard boiled eggs
- Sweet pickle relish
- Chopped onion
- Yellow mustard
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make deviled ham salad
Quick and easy, this deviled ham salad recipe comes together in just 10 minutes! Let it chill for an hour or two to let the flavors meld before serving.
- Pulse: Place the ham, eggs, celery, sweet pickle relish, and onion into a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is equally combined and chopped well.
- Blend: Add the mayonnaise and yellow mustard to the food processor and blend until evenly mixed.
- Chill: Transfer to a serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Enjoy! Serve the deviled ham spread on sandwiches, with crackers, or with vegetable dippers.
Make this Deviled Ham Salad recipe, then check out my Basmati Rice Salad with Mint and Edamame, Roasted Asparagus Caesar Salad, and Classic Waldorf Salad and more of my healthy salad dressing recipes.
- This salad is made of mayonnaise and mustard, however, like most of my salads you can lighten it up using plain greek yogurt.
- Instead of leftover ham you can make this salad with pre-packaged diced ham from the grocery store.
- If you’d prefer, you can use chopped dill pickle instead of relish.
How to store deviled ham salad
Because this recipe has mayonnaise, ham and eggs, it must be refrigerated and stored in an airtight container. It can be stored for 3-5 days.
Can I freeze deviled ham salad?
Yes, you can freeze this salad. To freeze, simply put the deviled ham salad in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag for up to 2 months. Double layering the freezer bag will help to keep it from getting freezer burnt.