OMG this chili pie! ❤️ with a cornbread crust. This recipe is another favorite coming out of Ambitious Kitchen. Easy to make, packed with protein thanks to chicken and white beans, and especially good during the cooler seasons when all you want is a little comfort food.
I basically made a thicker version of my beloved white chicken chili, except this time I used white beans, ground chicken and green chiles for a little kick of heat. Plus let’s not forget the sweet corn and of course, the honey pumpkin cornbread that’s baked on top. Top it with a little yogurt, guac and salsa and you’ve got yourself one of the best dinners you’ve had in a while. Basically, this white chicken chili pie is perfection. TRUST YO GIRL.
FREE Pumpkin Recipe E-Book
Sign up below and get a FREE printable e-book with my best sweet and savory pumpkin recipes straight to your inbox!
Ingredients in white chicken chili pie
This delicious white chicken chili pie is packed with protein thanks to white beans and lean ground turkey, has tons of flavorful spices, and is topped with an incredible pumpkin cornbread crust. You’ll love the sweet & savory elements. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- For the chili mixture: white beans, chicken broth or water, olive oil, white onion, garlic, a can of mild green chiles, lean ground chicken or turkey & sweet corn.
- Spices: ground cumin, chili powder, coriander, dried oregano, salt & pepper.
- For the pumpkin cornbread: one egg, honey, olive oil or melted butter, unsweetened almond milk, pumpkin puree (you can make your own with this tutorial!), whole wheat pastry flour (you can also use all purpose flour, white whole wheat flour or gluten free oat flour), medium-grind yellow cornmeal, baking powder & salt.
- For garnish: jalapeño slices, avocado or guacamole, cilantro, greek yogurt/sour cream, salsa/hot sauce.
Customize this white chicken chili pie
- Make it vegetarian: feel free to swap the ground chicken with another can of white beans or chickpeas. Be sure to also use water or vegetarian broth in the chili mixture.
- Make it gluten free: simply use gluten free oat flour in the pumpkin cornbread crust. Easy!
- Make it in a pan: If you do not have a cast iron skillet or an ovenproof skillet, feel free to transfer the chili mixture to a 9×9 inch pan or something similar and pour the cornbread batter over it and bake as directed. It will still be perfect!
How to make white chicken chili pie
- Blend your beans. Add ½ cup of the drained white beans to a blender along with 1 cup broth or water. Blend on high until well combined and set it aside.
- Cook the chicken. Add onions, garlic and green chiles to a large deep 10-inch cast iron skillet with olive oil and sauté for 3-5 minutes until onions are tender. Add in the ground chicken/turkey, break up the meat and cook it through.
- Add the spices & filling. Stir in all of the spices, then reduce heat to low. Then mix in the corn, cilantro, pureed beans and remaining whole white beans. Simmer it all together for a few minutes, then remove it from the heat.
- Make the cornbread topping. In a large bowl, whisk the egg, honey, oil, almond milk and pumpkin puree together until well combined. Next stir in the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Pour the topping over the chili mixture and spread evenly towards the edges of the skillet.
- Top, bake & serve. Top the batter with a few slices of jalapeños, then bake it up until the cornbread is slightly golden brown on the edges and filling is bubbling.
Can I use a regular pan?
Sure! If you do not have a cast iron skillet or an ovenproof skillet, feel free to transfer the chili mixture to a 9×9 inch pan or something similar and pour the cornbread batter over it and bake as directed. It will still be perfect!
Our fav way to serve this chili pie
I love to top my serving of this white chicken chili pie with homemade guacamole, cilantro, sour cream or greek yogurt and hot sauce! Any way you enjoy it is guaranteed to be delicious.
Make it ahead of time
Feel free to save time by making the filling for the white chicken chili pie the day before! Simply store it in the fridge in an airtight container. When you’re ready to complete the pie, add it back to your skillet, top it with the cornbread mixture, and bake as directed.
How to freeze white chicken chili pie
- Before baking: cook the chili mixture and add the cornbread topping. Wrap the entire pie in tinfoil and place in the freezer for up to 2 months. When ready to cook, re-wrap the pie with new tinfoil and bake it covered in the oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees F. Remove the foil and bake the pie for an additional 35-40 minutes uncovered.
- After baking: you can either bake the entire recipe, cool it to room temperature, scoop it into servings, place in freezer safe containers and then freeze. Or you can bake it, bring to room temp, and then freeze the entire pan. Just be sure to wrap with tinfoil. Once ready to reheat, thaw it out. Then bake, covered at 350 degrees F for 30-45 minutes or until heated through.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days. Simply reheat portions in the microwave when you’re ready to enjoy it.
More pumpkin recipes to try
Get all of my pumpkin recipes here!
I hope you love this white chicken chili pie! Be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe below if you make it. Thanks for being here — I appreciate you! xo.
White Chicken Chili Pie with Pumpkin Cornbread Crust
Delicious white chicken chili pie with a wonderful pumpkin cornbread crust. This hearty and warming white chicken chili pie is easily gluten free and the perfect mix of sweet and savory. An amazing dinner for the whole family!
- For the chili mixture:
(15 ounce) white beans, divided
chicken broth or water
small white onion, diced
(5 ounce) can mild green chiles
lean ground chicken or turkey (at least 93% lean)
- Freshly ground black pepper
fresh or frozen sweet corn
- For the pumpkin cornbread:
olive oil or melted butter
unsweetened almond milk
whole wheat pastry flour, white whole wheat flour or gluten free oat flour
medium-grind yellow cornmeal
- For garnish:
- jalapeño slices
- avocado or guacamole
- greek yogurt/sour cream
- salsa/hot sauce
First, add ½ cup of the drained white beans to a blender along with 1 cup broth or water. Blend on high until well combined. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat olive oil in a large deep 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium high heat, add onions, garlic and green chiles and sauté for 3-5 minutes until onions are tender. Next, add in the ground chicken/turkey, break up the meat and cook until no longer pink.
Stir in the cumin, chili powder, coriander and oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste then reduce heat to low. Next, stir in the corn, cilantro, pureed beans and remaining whole white beans and gently simmer together for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside while you make the cornbread topping.
To make the cornbread topping: In a large bowl, whisk the egg, honey, oil, almond milk and pumpkin puree together until well combined. Next stir in the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Pour cornbread topping over the chili mixture and spread evenly towards the edges of the skillet.
Top the batter with a few slices of jalapeños. Bake for 25-30 minutes until cornbread is slightly golden brown on the edges and filling is bubbling. Serve with guacamole, cilantro, sour cream/greek yogurt and hot sauce. Serves 6.
If you do not have a cast iron skillet or an ovenproof skillet, feel free to transfer the chili mixture to a 9×9 inch pan or something similar and pour the cornbread batter over it and bake as directed. It will still be perfect!
If you want to make this vegetarian, you can use another can (or two) of white beans in place of the ground chicken, and I suggest adding a little more corn!
See the full post for storing tips, ways to customize, and more!
Servings: 6 servings
Serving size: 1 serving (based on 6)
Saturated fat: 2.7g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats